St. Francis Assisi L. P. school was started as an English medium school, at the west side of Arthunkal Basilica in 1903, Later as the result of the hard work of Servant of God Fr. Sebastian Presentation, in 1904, the school was granted government recognition.The management of the school came under Arthunkal Basilica n 1924. Later when it came under the corporate management of the diocese of Alleppey, the local management was entrusted to St. Sebastian's visitation convent. In 2003, one division was granted as English medium, with government accreditation.At present, having three divisions for each class, there are 12 class rooms along with office room cum staff room and computer lab.
This venture was started aiming at the upliftment of the fishermen. The majority of the students of this school were the children of the fishermen and coir workers. The needs of the family of these children were met by the income of their parents from fishing and coir work. Altogether 275 students are studying here, among which 127 are boys and 148 are girls. In this way the school has been successful to be the world of letters for economically and socially marginalized children.
As the result of the excellent performance of this school, many students from nearby educational institutions like St. Paul's nursery, ' Anganavadi's and other private schools along with the children of government employees, teachers and businessmen undergo educational formation here. Through excellent performances in curricular and extra curricular activities, in 2013, the school has achieved the award for the best school in Alleppey diocese, leaving behind 19 other schools of the diocese. Mr. Norbert George, E.M. John, the former headmasters of S.F.A.H.S Arthunkal, Dr. Pradeep who works abroad, Mr. Benjamin Mathan who holds a record in paul vault in state level , Prof. Annie Jose who teaches in St. Michael's college , Cherthala and many others who have marked their presence in political and social realms are the former students of this school. And indeed, this has been an institution of pride for Arthunkal.